It’s not about the nail.

by Rick on April 18, 2019

It’s not about the nail.

Stuart Orrick April 19, 2019 at 9:47 am

First of all, I’m not the wife. Secondly, I’m not the husband.

I’m both, depending on the situation and the dialogue that ensues.

But the nail very much exists in all permutations and combinations.

Rick Armstrong April 19, 2019 at 10:02 am

What a GENIUS production! How can 1:41 capture the whole picture!?!?
My strong instinct is that the guy is “obviously correct”. BUT, as the video shows so clearly, that attitude is destructive and useless. OTOH, ‘listening’ accomplishes nothing!

And what a vivid visual to add to the image of “butting heads”. 🙂

Thanks for sharing.

Jon Madian April 19, 2019 at 11:32 am

very clever :))
at what grade level do you recommend that we begin showing this?

PN April 19, 2019 at 5:03 pm

What looks obvious is really not the whole picture. If we just stop and listen without casting judgement about the obvious source then we can begin to understand the environment….or maybe she works in a nail factory

Lisa Sanden April 20, 2019 at 4:23 am

This is great and so timely. I just did a presentation in which I spoke about this very issue between partners. Wish I had this video then!

Rick April 20, 2019 at 7:31 am

Whenever a teacher or parent decides it’s time to teach empathy, perhaps? Maybe she knows about the nail and has learned to live with it. Maybe, she actually is working on another problem than the obvious one. Asking her some questions might help. Anyway, if she decides she wants the nail out, she’ll have to do it herself. Maybe it’s are requirement of working in a nail factory.

Elsa Townsend April 20, 2019 at 8:13 am

If Mr. Rogers were still around, perhaps he’d be moved to send her some of his zippered cardigans…

Thanks for sharing this example of how a play, in one short act, can engage us and begin to change us! I thought of you, Rick while reading a recent article on ways Inuits use drama instead of anger to guide children’s behavior: https://www.ideastream.org/news/can-inuit-moms-help-me-tame-my-3-year-olds-anger – “Play is children’s work,” as you have taught so many of us!