The Dangers of a Quarantine

by Rick on February 20, 2021

Being alone together with your loved ones isn’t always fun.
Why do we find ourselves talking like this:

You never do the dishes
You never close the closet door
You never screw the lid on tight
You always leave the room a mess
You never try to fix what you broke
You always ask too many questions
You never listen to what I am trying to say
You never put things back where they belong
You always turn everything I say into an argument
You always ask too many questions. It drives me crazy
You always ask what the actor said in the middle of the movie
You always tell me why I shouldn’t feel what I say I’m feeling

And why do we always ask why when it’s not really a question:
Why must you always finish my sentences
Why don’t you learn how to do it yourself
Why don’t you ever read the directions
Why do you always do things weird
Why do you always burn the bacon
Why don’t you leave me alone

Humans weren’t designed to spend ALL their time with their loved ones. Having a laugh and taking the shortest route back to happy are some useful strategies for staying in love with your loved ones.

Comment with your own pet peeves
and receive automatic forgiveness.

Gary February 22, 2021 at 5:13 am

Thanks, Rick, for this “great” list. We had a good laugh with it. This one “You never put things back where they belong” is my perennial stumbling block re my roommate. Hers is probably this one:
“Why don’t you ever read the directions?” I don’t think it’s a guy thing. I think it’s thinking we know more than whoever wrote the lousy directions.

Mary Anderson February 22, 2021 at 6:37 am

I haven’t had the luxury of working remotely too much this year. Your piece does hit on my two pet peeves that I have worked hard to make taboo. Those are You always and you never. A better rule may be that every statement must start with I such as I feel angry when you don’t wash your dishes. You always is extremely judgmental as well as telling the other person they never succeed because of the all inclusive you never or you always.

Julia February 22, 2021 at 6:43 am

Rick, I love the title! It conveys a lightness and humor to the questions which, by themselves, might convey a darker side of life. But the title makes them just an incident of being human during a very difficult time for all of us. Thanks!!

Mark Crosley February 22, 2021 at 8:35 am

Pandemic:
How can I miss you when you won’t go away?
Post-pandemic:
You’re never around when I’m lonely.
Why can’t we spend more time together, like we did during quarantine?

Rick February 22, 2021 at 10:06 am

One friend emailed me with: “How do we get from here to happy?”
It’s the key question. Here’s the answer:
It’s an exercise in creativity: An opportunity to try something new, to use imagination, to do something that will surprise your partner, something that will make you (or maybe him/her) laugh. Think of crazy things until you find one that makes you laugh, then do it.
Who knows what will happen. But what we do know is that if we use the same old words there will be the same old words in response, and no change. This can be bad, as we know. it is at least boring.

Mary Johnson February 22, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Loved this column, Rick!

Patricia February 23, 2021 at 4:02 pm

Love this column Rick. I can only imagine what it’s like for families or couples forced to spend too much time together. Togetherness is lovely, if you’re one of the lucky ones in a healthy relationship. Still, blogging about the annoyances of too much of a good thing is, I think, a public service.